As we approach the Decision meeting we are faced with four insurmountable problems:
- Still no Tall Buildings SPD
- Historic England is being ignored
- Democracy and the strength of opposition remains unaddressed.
- The Officers report is unbalanced...
1) Still no Tall Buildings SPD
No SPD exists for tall buildings in the borough.
The public has not been consulted on building heights.
At the very least this should go to public inquiry.
2) Historic England is being ignored
Historic England recommends the council should refuse the application.
This stops the application dead in the water.
The Officers have failed to provide alternative specialist expert advice that counters this advice.
Unsubstantiated opinions are not grounds to disregard the national body charged by Government to advise on national and local heritage - who state that the proposal "fails to meet statutory tests".
3) Democracy and the strength of opposition remains unaddressed.
The deeply held belief of thousands of residents, that the proposal is inappropriate and would over develop the site, has not been taken into account. Consultation has failed.
4) The Officers report is unbalanced.
We believe the officers report is unbalanced, questionable and potentially flawed.
The Eden Quarter Development Brief SPD is all but ignored.
The recommendation is one opinion. We think a second opinion is required.
The planning process is failing us. Lets hope our elected Councillors allow common sense to prevail - and REFUSE this application.